You might think that a loss to one of our bitterest rivals would sting but you would be wrong. While the "Cup contender" senators were led to victory it is telling that their magical trio of Spezza, Heatley, and Alfredsson have started their disappearing act in November rather than padding their stats until the playoffs. After seeing the rubble that wears the blue and white earn a well deserved point against on overrated sens team I felt pretty good because there was a lot for the Leafs to build upon.
Here is some of the good things that I was talking about:
- Ponikarovsky apparently is not happy with his demotion because he ran around hitting everything that moved. I like it.
- Dominic Moore won't take shit from anyone.
- Deveaux can play hockey so unlike McGrattan or Peters he can play regularly in the lineup. He's no Milan Lucic yet but he is apparently tough enough to scare Cody Bass and Jarkko Ruutu out of fighting.
- Jeff Finger got things back on track. He is slow and will never get enough powerplay time to justify his price tag but he is smart with the puck and plays the body. He deserves some love.
- Luke Schenn was back to his best. From stickhandling like a pro to some veteran-like patience on the puck to his defensive acumen to the stunning hit on Antoine Vermette he showed why even Damien Cox calls him an "A" prospect.
- Hello Vesa! We've been missing you. So glad that you felt the need to respond to Chemmy and my critcism of your play. Try to keep doing that for us until March 4th.
- Kulemin's goal was the kind of play that we've come to expect from the Man Grabs Lemon line. A persistent forecheck, a turnover caused, a quick pass, and a nice finish. They are pure lemonade.
- Stempniak looked great again. He's strong on the puck with a good shot and plays physically. He's been buzzing for two straight games and I expect the first goal to come soon and hopefully open the floodgates. Dutchie, as he is called according to SLGT, is a great pickup. Thanks Cliff!
What other thoughts did you guys have on the game?