When the College of Cardinals selects a new Pope they release white smoke into the air to signal that their closed door deliberations have been completed. In Toronto that can't work because there is always a white haze over the city. Instead, the first act on day one of 1 AB (Anno Burkem) was to hold a press conference. Thanks to MF37 for pointing out that the press conference from yesteday was available online. Watch it and reach your own conclusions about what Burke is saying. Here are some links to read while you ponder what he might do:
- Arch watches a lot of wrestling. I totally visualized that entire scene although in my version Burke brings down Peddie from the owner's box, pretends to raise his hands in triumph, then gives him the Rock Bottom and People's Elbow, and tells us fans that it was a double-cross and he's going to give us a Cup.
- Even Oilers fans know what this signing means. Although Burke wouldn't be tricked into calling himself Benedict XVI. Makes sense, there is no way a German could lead the Leafs.
- Jared has advice for Brian Burke.
- Burke sounds kind of crazy. I like it.
- Godd and Kim also have some good advice.
- This reads like a Garrioch story. Lots of qualifiers but no proof whatsoever.
- Alec has some thoughts on day 1 of the Burke Era.