So, in the spirit of moving into the youth movement, not a lot has been made of UFAs the Leafs should be looking at. However, there may be a few opportunities to pickup some experience to help bring along the young guns. Hit the jump for the start of the in-depth!
First off, let's start with the UFAs the Leafs should re-sign:
- Mats Sundin - Well duh, but this is looking less likely to happen. If he goes to "that team", he is dead to Leafs nation. Period.
- Dominic Moore - I liked his play, his hustle and his attitude. He'd be great on a line with Jamal Mayers I bet.
That's about it. Clemmenson might be a good keeper too, if the following doesn't go:
- Curtis Joseph - Like most Leaf fans, I retain a soft spot for ol' CuJo. I'm sure he would welcome a return to LeafLand and would be a great backup for Toskala. His playing in relief of Kipper during the playoffs was spectacular and definitely showed he's still got it. With Raycroft (hopefully) gone for good, CuJo has the opportunity to retire a Leaf.
- Sean Avery - Just about the opposite of CuJo in terms of class and goodwill from Leaf fans, but would be an excellent replacement for the worn-out Tucker. Remember to hide any hot actresses before he arrives in town, however.
Guys who people want but probably shouldn't get:
- Ryan Malone - I wasn't too impressed by this guy during the Finals, he had some serious brain cramp issues. Probably would demand way too much money too
- Gary Roberts - I'm a big Roberts fan, but he's too old. Fittest guy in the league perhaps, but just a little too old. Don't punch me in the face, Gary
Let the discussion begin! Who should the Leafs look at? Who should they avoid? I didn't mention any RFAs because the whole RFA stuff confuses me. And hey, it's the weekend!