Every year around this time I try and predict what the Leaf lineup will be on opening day. These past few years have been much more difficult, and I expect this year will be equally challenging.
Before the draft, before free agency and before the preseason, this the best time for speculation and prognostication. I invite everyone to think about who will be there when the puck drops in October. Submit your selections before Midnight EST on Monday June 15th.
Rules are simple:
1. You need to have 13 forwards
2. You need to have 7 D-men
3. You need to have 2 goalies
4. When including currently unsigned players, you will need to try and guess a reasonable cap number for them
5. Stay under the Cap for 09-10 No official numbers yet, so assume close to the 56.7M from last season
6. Anyone can wait until towards the deadline on Monday night in an attempt to try and gain an advantage - BUT - you cannot completely duplicate any ones list. Every list needs to have at least one different player, so whoever lists first has no restrictions.
7. If a player currently signed is no longer on your list, a brief explanation of what the team received back for him would be appreciated. Player for picks/prospects are acceptable trades, but be very careful when swapping roster players. Your 'trade' can be called into question by anyone participating if considered unreasonable. In that case, you have until Midnight on Tuesday to remove the trade and edit your list.
Feel free to pull from the free agent list, our own unsigned restricted FA's, and our unsigned prospects(including who we might get out of this year's draft.)
That's pretty much it! If you want you can list them by possible line combinations, but that is just for personal preference.
I don't recommend listing someone gained through signing an offer sheet. I'm pretty sure Burke won't burn draft picks that way.
Use any information resources you like. This list of Leaf players is a good start.
I hope this is a fun exercise for everyone. Remember, this is not a 'dream' list, you are trying to predict what Burke and his management team will do!
I plan on resurrecting this post after the first game of the season so we can declare the official winner.
Don't feel bad about how poorly your list turned out, this is not an easy endevor.
Good luck and have fun with it!