With each passing day I am more and more convinced that Brian Burke and Peter Chiarelli are actually the same person or at the very least share one brain. The case for:
- Pursue a goalie who performed extremely well with AIK in the Swedish Elite league. (BOS: Tim Thomas, TOR: Jonas Gustavsson)
- Look for undrafted talent in the NCAA (BOS: Blake Wheeler, TOR: Tyler Bozak)
- Bulk up with size on defense (BOS: Zdeno Chara, Aaron Ward, TOR: Mike Komisarek, Garnet Exelby, Francois Beauchemin)
- Have an offensive D-man prospect that was a late round draft pick. (BOS: Matt Hunwick, TOR: Anton Stralman)
- Have a big d-man in the minors looking to make the jump to the NHL (BOS: Johnny Boychuk 6ft 2in 225lbs, TOR: Phil Oreskovic 6ft 3in 217lbs)
- Sign a legimate heavy weight to protect your skill players. (BOS: Shawn Thornton, TOR: Colton Orr)
- Have a former Hab that was run out of Montreal on your roster that still carries a grudge: (BOS: Michael Ryder, TOR: Mikhail Grabovski)
- Have a former Blues D-man from Southern Ontario (BOS: Dennis Wideman - London, ON, TOR: Mike Van Ryn - Kitchener, ON)
- Both teams have at least 7 of their own draft picks on their active rosters.
- Colin Stuart is the older brother of Boston Bruins defenseman Mark Stuart.
So, if everything works out the same way, Kadri (Drafted #7) = Kessel (#5), Kulemin (#44) = Bergeron (#45), Stralman (#216) = Hunwick (#224) and Tlusty (#13) should actually be an upgrade over Krejci (#63rd)!
Burke just needs to acquire a Marc Savard-type center (maybe for Kaberle?) and bring in a veteran scoring winger like Recchi and we can plan the parade!
Of course, things will go exactly the same with no deviance at all whatsoever, we can all dream.