So then, a start to the decade that will finally bring the cup back to Toronto (offer is NOT legally binding in North America). I'm sure, like me, you've all been pondering hard on what resolutions to make this year - especially binding ones of course, this being the end of the noughties and the start of the...tennies.
I can't help thinking that if we all put our heads together, we can come up with a pretty decent list. Here's a couple of my own creation to start the ball rolling:
1) Formulate a plan to somehow implicate Vesa Toskala in that bomb plot that nearly hit Detroit the other week - or some similar terrorist outrage. Really, this joke has gone on long enough and if he won't be waived and can't be traded, it's time we took matters into our own hands. Besides, I've heard Cuba is lovely at this time of year.
2) More crazy pictures of Micky Grabs. If there's one thing that's been missing this season, it's been mental photos of everyone's favourite fruit-bothering, glass raising, award winning, bear brandishing Belarusian. Clearly this situation must be addressed. I am prepared (should someone else be on hand to capture the event for posterity) to confront Mikhail some dark evening in a grapefruit outfit. Greater love hath no man who his team than that.
3) Persuade Matt Stajan to audition for the next installment of the Twilight franchise.
4) Remake Rocky IV with Carl 'Crusher' Gunnarsson in the Ivan Drago role. Rocky to be played by a young Brian Burke, overcoming the odds to avenge his dead friend, Apollo Creed (here played by Rickard Wallin, in a radical interpretation of the original text).
5) Finally, we can all remain positive and sort of happy we've taken the first steps down a long road - face triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters just the same - and stick together, for one day my friends Tiocfaidh ar la! Our day will come...
Let's talk New Years links...
- The Bruins took a 2 - 1 decesion over the Flyers in the third Winter Classic at (spit) Fenway Park. Puck Daddy, Broad Street Hockey and Stanley Cup of Chowder (not once, but twice) cover the events of the day.
- All very well and good, but where's the beef? Maple Leaf Hot Stove reviews the Leaf 2009 in numbers and has a chat with Psycho Lady Hockey.
- Vintage Leafs today features two from the annals of history and a double trip dip.
- budblog looks ahead to what lies in store in MMX.
- A last look back at the junior Canadians besting the junior Americans with Toronto Mike.
- The year changes, the Friday Youtube Yoinks from Loser Domi stay in place.
- On Frozen Blog keeps the video theme alive, with TSN's plays of the (last) decade and killing time at the airport.
- Finally, HOCKEE NIGHT goes behind the scenes for a look at the NHL mandarins next policy meeting.