It's Monday morning which means two things: that it's time to head to the polls and vote in the Fan Confidence Poll. Last week's tally was 52 which gives us a run of 64-68-66-60-61-66-73-77-64-53-42-39-52 since the inception of the poll. The 2-1-0 week provided an uptick to the poll which will certainly be corrected following a 1-2-0 week which saw the Leafs' powerplay and scoring woes continue with a solitary goal being scored in the two losses. The most painful part of the two losses is that they were against divisional rivals that will be competitors for the final couple of playoff spots.
This is a reminder that what we're trying to track is your thoughts on the following:
How likely are the Leafs to make the playoffs?
So what happened over the past week?
- The week started well with a 4-1 win over the Dallas Stars which showed all of the hallmarks of a competent team.
- Predictably, the Leafs travelled to their house of horrors and dropped a 3-1 decision to the Sabres. Early mental mistakes did in the Maple Leafs.
- It was a re-run 24 hours later as two instances of terrible transition defence allowed Mike Fisher to score two second period goals. The 3-0 final was held down by Jonas Gustavsson's strong play.
- The first 20 games of the year yielded some interesting stats. Mostly interesting in the sense that I want to bash my brains in knowing that the Leafs can play defence but can't score instead of not being able to play defence and being able to score.
- MF37 reminded us that it is really hard to make any sort of predictions.
- On the bright side, BCapp tried to figure out who the Leafs' most overpaid players are this year. Spoiler: almost everyone is overpaid.
So that is the week that was. Vote in the top left hand side of the front-page and then explain your rationale. If you're lurking, this is a great spot to come into the light.