Scott Cullen at tsn.ca ever week releases his player rankings.
So I have simply looked at each position in a pretty short FanPost.
Looking at players by position (he provides top 40 in each):
We have one in the top 40
- Grabovski is 31. So thats exactly where I would put him this year. He is playing like an adequate number 1 or a great number 2
- At $2.9 million Grabs is a bargain
We have 3 in the top 40 (its amazing how quickly your team can change. Before last season our only potential top 6 LW's were Kulemin and Stalberg (as a prospect)
- Clarky Mark at 18th. He is playing like a legit first line winger. Not elite (you would have to be in top 5-10 to be considered elite), but still playing very well
- Uber bargain at $1.1 million
- Kulemin at 26th. Similar to Grabs playing like an adequate (or complimentary) first liner, or a great number 2
- At $2.35 million we have ourselves a bargain
- Versteeg at 39th. Statistically playing like a second liner
- Appropriately paid at $3.08 mil
- Kessel at 30. Pplaying like an adequate first liner or great second liner).
- $5.4 million looks overpaid for this single analysis (Please note I am not claiming he is overpaid. This doesn't take into account his age, his game breaking potential or anything other than this small 25 game sample size)
A couple things that jump out at me:
- We actually have an adequate compliment of top 6 wingers. With Steeg able to play the right wing we have 4 players in the top 80 wingers (statistically there are 90 top 6 wingers).
- We really need that true number one center
- We have no elite players (at least this year). With Clarky Mark the only guy in the top 20 in his position (and he's only at 18th) it shows our problem. We have decent depth just no top end players.
So nothing enlightening here, just a quick look at our players by Cullen's rankings. Cheers