"Go ahead and write it, I guarantee we'll win the Stanley Cup" - Daniel Alfredsson's legacy.
Every year during this blog's history (damn you Maple Leafs) I've had to pen an ode to the second most important aspect of the Stanley Cup playoffs: Hate. I'm a traditionalist. Sports Bigamy is the greatest sin in my eyes. I don't normally get into that 'real' fan debate but this is the exception I make. So for me, a perfect season would end with the Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup. Next best would be for the playoffs to be cancelled until the Leafs return. Unfortunately, that's not how life works. This is actually one of the few things that Chemmy and I agree on so we are left picking the lesser of two evils.
First up was the Devils v. Flyers series which presented a conundrum (just kidding, screw the Flyers) but this one has no such problem. Even still, in the interest of fairness (stop laughing), after the jump bloggers from each side of the divide will get their chance to make their case for our support. If you want some kind of analysis you can go here or here or here.
First up, Peter from Silver Seven Sens who gamely steps up to the plate to suggest the unsuggestable:
I'm under no pretense that it's at all likely you guys will cheer for the Senators in our series against the Penguins. But if we look a little farther into it, there are definitely a few good reasons you should do so:
- First and foremost, Sidney Crosby. Does anyone outside of Pittsburgh and Cole Harbour like him? Sure, his gold-medal-winning goal was great, but the goodwill from that will wear out quickly when his whining starts up again in the playoffs.
- We'll get Tyler Kennedy and Evgeni Malkin less TV time. Let's be honest, the less you have to see their faces, the better.
- The farther the Senators go, the lower their draft pick will be next season. It's bad enough you guys traded away your first rounder this year, it would be so much worse if Ottawa picked higher then you guys, wouldn't it?
- As the Senators go farther in the playoffs, the larger the disappointment for Sens fans if/when their team gets knocked out. Isn't it more rewarding mocking us after that?
- Chris Phillips' playoff beard.
- Plus maybe the Sens will play a team you like in the second round, so you can drive up to Ottawa to get a taste of playoff hockey. Let's be honest, you've got to be missing it by this point, right?
- Finally, and most importantly, think about what might happen if the Senators win the Stanely Cup: The man you all hate so much, Daniel Alfredsson, may decide to go out while on top, and retire.
In conclusion, cheer for the Senators. Come to Silver Seven to do so.
Not bad considering he might as well have been the defence attorney at Nurenberg. Up next, Frank D from SBN's Pensburgh who is a stand up fellow:
Reason to hate: They are Ottawa.
Reason to cheer for the Pens: See above
That seems like a pretty open and shut case. But let's hear from his co-counsel The Pensblog:
Why Should Leafs Fans cheer for the Pens?
If you don't know the answer to that question, who are you? We won't even waste your time. If you cheer for the Senators, the terrorists win.
Why should you cheer for the Pens?
Simple, Karma. Make a deal with us. Help will us to another cup, and you will be rewarded at some point in your lives. Mark it down. Pens win the cup, Leafs make the playoffs next year. This is all you need. No one can give you this type of promise. NO ONE.
Follow us to freedom.
So there it is. Each side has made their case. Let's hear your varied and detailed reasons for hating both franchises. The reasons are abundant but in this case: Go Pens!
What's the outcome of this series?
Penguins in 4 (69 votes)
Penguins in 5 (151 votes)
Penguins in 6 (78 votes)
Penguins in 7 (11 votes)
Senators in 4 (7 votes)
Senators in 5 (3 votes)
Senators in 6 (37 votes)
Senators in 7 (13 votes)
369 total votes