It's Monday morning which means that it's time to head to the polls and vote in the Fan Confidence Poll. Last week's tally was 60 which gives us a run of 64-68-66-60 since the inception of the poll. A reminder that what we're trying to track is your thoughts on the following: How likely are the Leafs to make the playoffs?
The Leafs' last week:
- Tuesday saw a dispiriting start to the pre-season as the Senators dropped the Maple Leafs 5-0.
- On Wednesday the Buds rebounded with a much better effort and a 4-1 win over those same Senators. Mikhail Grabovski and Luca Caputi led the way offensively.
- Thursday the Leafs travelled down the 401 to London to face the 'hometown' Philadelphia Flyers. A strong performance by James Reimer and a marathon shootout ended with a 3-2 win.
- Friday night brought back some very bad memories as the Leafs blew a 3-1 lead late in the game. Phil Kessel notched his second of the pre-season and his third was disallowed leaving the Leafs to lose 4-3 in a shootout.
- Saturday night saw the final nail in the "Kadri to the AHL" coffin as the Leafs fell 3-1 to the Sabres. Sky is blue, water is wet.
- The Leafs made 21 cuts to get closer to the magic number of 23 players for opening night.
Pretty eventful week as the team went 2-2-1 on their way to shedding excess players. The last difficult decisions will come after four games this week. Jeff Finger and Nazem Kadri head the list of difficult decisions facing Brian Burke. The interesting note from that article was that Jeff Jackson was the team's capologist last year. I wonder if his departure from the franchise wasn't a direct result of the Leafs' racking up a $1.4M cap penalty.
With that week behind the team how do you feel about their chances to make the playoffs? Why did you vote the way that you did? This is a good spot for any lurkers to jump in.