2012 Draft Lottery Open Thread

2012_nhl_draft_medium

This is your open thread for the draft lottery. May the luckiest team win, except for the Habs because fuck them.
Follow along after the jump for odds and more info...

From James Mirtle of the Globe & Mail:

The lottery system is pretty complicated, but the basics are that teams can only move up a maximum of four spots and down a maximum of one spot. Only one team "wins" the lottery – everyone else moves based on the team that won

That leaves every team with a maximum of only three different spots they can pick in. (The Toronto Maple Leafs, for example, can end up with the first, fifth or sixth overall pick.)

The Leafs have a 8.1% chance of picking first overall, a 74.7% chance of drafting 5th, and 17.2% chance of this year getting even worse. Here's a fancy shmancy flow chart from @majupra that may help you visualize all of the different possibilities.

Draft_odds_medium
FULL VERSION

You can even try your hand at the draft lottery simulator over at the Edmonton Oilers site.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Pension Plan Puppets

You must be a member of Pension Plan Puppets to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Pension Plan Puppets. You should read them.

Join Pension Plan Puppets

You must be a member of Pension Plan Puppets to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Pension Plan Puppets. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9355_tracker