A few early thoughts from the Leafs win over the Caps:
- The Mike Kostka Experiment (dibs on future band name) continues. He played 24:35 tonight.
- James van Riemsdyk had another huge game for his new team. He logged nearly 20 minutes of ice time, led the way with 7 shots on net, and even potted a powerplay goal. Would've liked the breakaway though.
- Nikolai Kulemin and Phil Kessel each had 6 shots on the night. Those two and JvR nearly outshot Washington by themselves.
- The Toronto powerplay continues to struggle, going 1 for 8 on the night and failed to capitalize on another lengthy 5-on-3 advantage.
- I thought James Reimer was fine in net, although I'd bet he wants that goal to Ovechkin back.
- Jay McClement doesn't look out of place as the LW with Mikhail Grabovski and Kulemin. Could be a permanent spot for him if the Leafs move a forward.
- And despite Kessel's goal drought, the Leafs continue to show balanced scoring. Eventually he'll get it going.