The arrangements are made, the bells are ringing and no doubt there will be tears and a punch-up before bedtime - for today is the day for our glorious 2IC, Chemmy.
That's right folks, the wandering jammies have been been officially retired. From now on, it's early nights, matching knitwear and lower back pain. I'm sorry ladies, I really didn't mean to break it to you this way. Perhaps in time you'll learn to love again. If not, I understand the Sisters of St. Joseph on Bayview are hiring.
Of course, the events of today will make Chemmy a bigamist in the eyes of some folks as he has already taken the sacred vows with the mighty Blue and White. But then I suppose the very term 'Leafs Nation' sort of implies you chaps are quite relaxed about that sort of thing.
So ladies and gentlemen, please charge your glasses and join me in a toast to the Bride and Groom! And how lovely it is that they chose Chris Simon's birthday to tie the knot....
- Sadly the Leafs were unable to mark his last night as a single man in style, going down 5 - 4 in overtime against the Devils. Tales of the tape from Maple Leaf Hot Stove, The Hockey News, Under the Helmet of Slava Duris and In Lou We Trust.
- Also tasting defeat like a demented foot fetishist, the Marlies lost 6 - 3 to Lake Erie.
- Of course, today isn't about just one man. It's Hockey Day in Canada! Here's a great story for this wondrous day, courtesy of Habs Eyes on the Prize.
- Taking us back to a time when even mf37 and 1967ers were in short trousers, Hockee Night delivers an awesome Friday Night Fight from 1963.
- Proving you can have both Rickard Wallin AND Adam Ant in the same post, it's The Wonderful World of Loser Domi (sadly missing a trick by not featuring 'Prince Charming' and the seminal lyric, "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of").
- Phil Kessel talks about his scoring struggles of late with NHL.com.
- We love lists and charts here on the weekend desk - that's why Behind The Net's 20 best power plays of the last 20 years and Hockeycentric's top 10 post-lockout deadline day deals are linked here.
- Hold on to your integrity, it's Beanpot time in Boston! How can one not include an article with the line "the single worst tournament in sports"?
- STOPPRESS: I think Bone wanted me to include his post about exciting new devolpments in dealing with opposition goalies but I'm not sure.
- EXTRA! EXTRA! The New York Rangers are rich but they look like poor relations compared to our beloved buds.
- SCOOP! Vintage Leafs features...words! Get to know the proprietor.