Thanks to Ryan Johansen and the rest of the Nashville Predators, the St. Louis Blues have been eliminated. In addition to advancing to the Western Conference Final for the first time, thePreds have solved the mystery of where the Maple Leafs will draft!
The Toronto Maple Leafs will have the 17th overall draft pick. Nashville advancing to the Western Conference Final moves them into the late 20’s to pick, with their new range being 28th overall (losing the WCF) to 31st overall (winning the Stanley Cup).
With a mid-round pick, the Maple Leafs could benefit from a highly ranked player falling to them, or they could trade down in the order for multiple picks, or bundle picks and prospects and move up even?
Here’s a list of players in their range:
- Lias Andersson - C/LW - SHL / HV71 - 9G - 10A - 19Pts
- Ryan Poehling - C - NCAA / St. Cloud State - 7G - 6A - 13Pts
- Juuso Valimaki - D - WHL / Tri-City Americans - 19G - 42A - 61Pts
- Callan Foote - D - WHL / Kelowna Rockets - 6G - 51A - 57Pts
- Kailer Yamamoto - RW - WHL / Spokane chiefs - 42G - 57A - 99Pts
- Nick Suzuki - C - OHL / Owen Sound Attack - 45G - 51A - 96Pts
- Nic Hague - D - OHL / Mississauga Steelheads - 18G - 28A - 46Pts
Here is some draft reading:
2017 NHL Draft Target: Is Erik Brannstrom the defenceman the Leafs need?
Swedish defenceman Erik Brannstrom should be available at #17 or 18, and he carries a ton of offensive upside.
What can the Maple Leafs expect from drafting 17th or 18th?
Not Auston Matthews, we know that. But there are two current members of the Leafs taken at at that number.
The trade-down option: Some players (probably) available in the 20-50 range
Looking at players in the 20-50 pick range
Is Kailer Yamamoto Too Good For the Leafs to Pass Up?
Stop me if you’ve heard this before. There’s this brilliant offensive winger, but he’s small.
Alright folks, we know where they’re drafting. Let’s figure out this pick.
Are you a draft for need or a best player available person?
This poll is closed
We need a defenceman.
BPA all the way!
Just trade this pick.