Welcome to another episode of Back to Excited. We’re a little delayed, thanks to some life stuff and Mother’s Day. But we’re back with about 90 minutes of scintillating Leafs discussion. On this episode:
- Fulemin discusses why every fanbase hates the Leafs [1:54]
- We talk about Kyle Dubas [8:23] and the tough job he has ahead of him
- Is too much made of Dubas’ analytics background? [11:05]
- Fulemin discusses why being a GM is harder than it seems [19:30]
- The Leafs tough road to improve from where they are, and why any defence upgrade won’t be for a guy that is great right now [25:55]
- [30:08] The dependence the Leafs have on the development of Dermott and Liljegren to fix their defensive core.
- [34:47] Why John Carlson’s contract is going to be awful
- [39:17] The types of moves the Leafs will likely have to make to improve
- [45:16] We have basically the same discussion, but regarding centres instead of defencemen
- [55:06] When does sheltering your third line make sense versus getting a group that can play versus everyone
- [63:03] Arvind gets subtweeted!
- [67:02] Why Kapanen isn’t really much of a trade chip
- [74:00] Why tactical adjustments may be the most likely thing to help the Leafs
- [76:10] What the Leafs can learn from the conference finalists
In the podcast, we mention a couple articles written by Katya that are worth a read. They are:
As always, you can find the podcast on Soundcloud, iTunes, and just about everywhere else. Let us know what moves you’d like to see from Dubas this offseason, and thanks for listening.