GO LEAFS GO!
First good chance of the game goes to Zachary J Hyman, and Marner right after him:
All Zach Hyman does is win puck battles and get scoring chances pic.twitter.com/KVf1LvPW2Q— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) April 3, 2021
Leafs fans collectively held their breath...
Awkward collision into the boards for Brodie as he collides with Copp on this 50-50 puck— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) April 3, 2021
Luckily he's alright pic.twitter.com/PmOEH4eiTX
Leafs got away with a few tripping non-calls, but Muzzin finally got burned for hauling down Stastny in the neutral zone. Leafs go to the penalty kill, which Jack Campbell helps kill off.
Pretty boring period, but the Leafs are controlling the expected goal share and Campbell is stopping everything so far.
Sweet glove save by Campbell on Scheifele pic.twitter.com/7KALE5cdfh— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) April 3, 2021
Matthews does look a lot better now that his wrist has had more time to heal.
Wicked chance for Matthews to put the Leafs up 1-0 pic.twitter.com/4Q3Yn6SVOS— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) April 3, 2021
First Period Thoughts
- Offense: They only had 12 shot attempts, but did have more high danger chances than the Jets which closed the expected goal share, but they still didn’t have a great period.
- Defense: They gave up a lot of attempts, but the quality against wasn’t TOO dangerous, and Campbell handled everything.
- Special teams: A perfect penalty kill, no powerplay chances yet to make us tear our hair out.
A darn good shift by the third (fourth?) line, hemming the Jets in their own end and causing havoc in front. Kerfoot almost set up Bogosian for a goal with a nice cross ice pass in the slot, but Hellebuyck made the stop.
GOAL: Dermott scores on a floater from the point, right after some back and forth action. 1-0 Leafs.
Marner and Matthews were pretty spectacular on the shift before, just wanted to give them a shout out.
Leafs are all over the Jets so far this period. They’re dominating zone time, shot attempts, and still getting good quality chances too.
Nice feed from Spezza to Kerfoot.— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) April 3, 2021
Went off a skate but could've been dangerous pic.twitter.com/AjzyMyXlTh
The Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander line has been better this period— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) April 3, 2021
Pair of chances on this shift pic.twitter.com/K7fU6X3HEa
GOAL: Copp taps in a 2 on 1. Tie game 1-1.
That’ll happen when you give up multiple odd-man rushes in a short span of time.
Second Period Thoughts
- Offense: They doubled their shot attempts and xGF in the second period, compared to the first. That’s good.
- Defense: They also gave up half the shot attempts against and xGA. That’s also good. It was a good period, except for the fact they’re still tied.
- Special teams: “Hey guys, you know how Matthews has one of the best shots in the game? Or how Tavares is a great slot option? Or Marner can sling cross ice passes? Why don’t we set up Rielly for a no-movement, clear as day one timer from the very edge of the blueline?”
Penalty kill did alright.
Nylander set up Galch for a great chance that he rang off the post.
Marner doing his thing:
Jack Campbell keeping them in the game:
Millions of Leafs fans collectively cried out, and were silenced...
Another huge stop by Campbell— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) April 3, 2021
Gets up kind of slow on that one...oh please no pic.twitter.com/Dy9GZtXBbt
Regulation ends and we’re still tied, so off to overtime we go!
Overtime didn’t solve anything, so off to the shootout we go!
Leafs win! Thanks to the nifty mittens from Jason Spezza.
- Offense: The Leafs finished the game very close in shot attempts, but had a decisive edge in scoring chances.
- Defense: The defense did a better job over the course of the game limiting the shots and scoring chances against Campbell, except for that spell in the third when he made some fantastic saves. Probably not the best defensive effort the team had, but not the worst either.
- Special teams: The PK did their job. The PP did not.