Right off the bat, let’s get caught up on all the articles published yesterday.
- The 25th ranked “prospect” in the Top 25 Under 25 wasn’t a prospect at all... yet. It was the fourth-round pick obtained by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Garret Sparks + David Clarkson trade. What a weird duo to be traded. Clarkson’s tenure on the Leafs cap still doesn’t seem real to me. I genuinely don’t believe it actually happened./
- Next, was the Top 25 Under 25 article for the two goalie prospects that just missed our cut. In the poll, a lot of you said Ian Scott and Joseph Woll were on your ballots, and I agree so I laid the case. There’s a lot of promise still left in these two young butterflies./
- Species gets jaded about all the Leafs prospects that have come and gone over the years. Jeez, there were a lot. /
- As the NHL finds a way to bring hockey back, there’s a lot of hoops they have to jump over, especially as June hosts a whole bunch of deadlines and [insert lawyerspeak here]. Katya breaks it all down./
Around the Hockey World
- Leafs GM Kyle Dubas is on the AHL’s Return to Play Task Force (the name did better than “Do Group”). They’ve been put together “for the purpose of providing expert leadership and strategic direction to the AHL in planning for the league’s return to play in the 2020-21 season.” There’s a lot the AHL needs to do to make sure they can be a viable business next season. It’s nice to see Dubas still actively participating in his old stomping grounds he loves so much. /
The AHL has announced the formation of a Return to Play task force, established to provide strategic direction in planning for the league's return to play in 2020-21.— AHL Communications (@AHLPR) June 15, 2020
Details: https://t.co/XPbe9zhXPz pic.twitter.com/fsipkzaZBc
- The Columbus Blue Jackets are set to play the Maple Leafs in the pre-playoffs best-of-five. Even with the long break, they’ll still be without a key player in Josh Anderson. /
The Athletic: Blue Jackets shouldn’t expect Josh Anderson (shoulder) to be ready until September, per source; the hurdles left to clear before #CBJ return; projected training camp 2.0 roster https://t.co/oBEI8O1glx pic.twitter.com/lDdaRcSRJk— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) June 15, 2020
- The detail of broadcaster Chris Cuthbert’s new contract with Sportsnet has been shared. Gotta respect the hustle to get that goal on the bucket list checked off. /
Chris Cuthbert tells TSN 1040 he signed a 4 year deal with Rogers, guaranteed 1 Stanley Cup Final.— SportsMedia inCanada (@SportsMediaCAN) June 15, 2020
- Egor Korshkov replied to a DM by this account asking if he’s planning to be at Leafs training camp. He said yes. Korshkov was one of my picks for the last spot, and won the poll done at the end of my article a few weeks ago. /
Egor Korshkov is on the Leafs' expanded Playoff Roster— leafsnationnews (@LNNinstagram) June 15, 2020
- Eric Guest played for the OHL Kitchener Rangers in 2016-17. He has now ended his competitive hockey journey and finally felt comfortable speaking out against the hazing and bullying he experienced on the team as a 16-year-old. Reading the whole Rick Westhead thread, you can quickly see how horrible this experience was for Guest as well as in the years since. /
“When you’re younger, you don’t fight back, you can’t… They have power. They rule you."— Rick Westhead (@rwesthead) June 15, 2020
Former Kitchener Ranger Eric Guest says when he was 16, he and another Rangers player were forced by an older teammate to use cocaine.@eric_guesthttps://t.co/L4aBgul8tY
Guest didn’t want to speak up because doing so would mean the end of his hockey career. He also didn’t want to name the accused because it would impact his current pro career. Hockey culture needs to change. All these kids that have come and gone through this system deserve better. They deserve a better hockey world than this bubble they’re trapped in.
I asked Eric why he wouldn't name the player who forced him to snort coke. Eric said he didn't want to negatively impact the older player's career.— Rick Westhead (@rwesthead) June 15, 2020
"He was a teammate..."
A sense of loyalty to a player who forced you to use cocaine... Where does that come from?
A good question to ask hockey team bosses. Are you confident that a player or staff member in your organization will come to you if something happens to them? Are you confident that they will think to come to you?— Hardev Lad (@HardevLad) June 16, 2020
- This was a really good write-up and explanation of the Paul McFarland power play, a coach whom you’ll remember was with the Leafs this season but is leaving to go back to the OHL. Definitely read this incredible bit of analysis./
After hours of tracking, coding, writing, and zooming with @shawnferris98, we have finally written up our research on the changes the Leafs made to their powerplay under Paul McFarland! Check it out here: https://t.co/lS1DuhXLAD— Olivia Lin (@oliviaylin) June 15, 2020
- As long as Brad Marchand doesn’t lick you, you’re good. /
David Pastrnak on the first thing he's going to do when he gets back in Boston:— Conor Ryan (@ConorRyan_93) June 15, 2020
"I don’t know. Get tested for COVID?”