Good morning Toronto Maple Leafs fans!
While we wait for updates ahead of game five tonight we do have an update in the world of the Ottawa Senators sale.
The bid by the Remington Group, which included actor, soccer club owner, and general man about town, Ryan Reynolds is out.
Don't fret Senators there are plenty of fans for your lands.
See, the majority of the bidders it seems are mostly working with property developers. The valuations are mostly based around the property the current arena sits on, and the development of the downtown lands where they want to build the new one.
The other groups included:
• Michael Andlauer, the owner of the Ontario Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs and a minority owner of the Montreal Canadiens.
• Jeffrey and Michael Kimel, who own the Harlo Capital Group and recently sold their share in the Pittsburgh Penguins. Postmedia reported Saturday they’ve added musical artist The Weeknd to their group.
• Toronto billionaire Steve Apostolopoulos, who made a $6-billion bid to purchase the National Football League’s Washington Commanders.
• Los Angeles-based producer Neko Sparks was reportedly the highest bidder in the first round at more than $900 million. He added rap singer Snoop Dogg to his group last week.
• Vivek Ranadivé, owner of the National Basketball Association’s Sacramento Kings, who made a surprise visit to Ottawa 10 days ago.
• The owner of a hockey publication could also make a bid.
There are still a few celebrities involved, but the flash that Reynolds made, had some groups wondering if they need to keep up.
One thing to remember about potential owners: keep your eyes on the quiet ones. Gary Bettman loves owners who play by his rule. Thompson family never made a public peep and now they have the Jets*. Jim Balsille was loud and obnoxious and now he's a nobody.
Speaking of disappointing things, the Dallas Stars defeated the Seattle Kraken 5-2 last night to take a 3-2 series lead.
The Carolina Hurricanes eliminated the New Jersey Devils last night after a 3-2 OT win.
Now we know the Maple Leafs opponent in the ECF, and hey! The Leafs weren't the first team out of round two! Progress!
Here's a fun stat for you:
If you're interested in the program, click the link above.
The Toronto Marlies lost game one of their Conference Final series to the Rochester Americans 4-3. Species was there and will fill you in later.
Speaking of Leafy things, Brigs wrote up a recap of prospect Fraser Minten's season.
Hardev wants to talk about fancy stats.
Me? I'm not doing anything. It's Tears of the Kingdom weekend, baby!
The Maple Leafs play at 7PM tonight to try and stay alive in their series with the Florida Panthers. Leafs are don 3-1, so it's a long slog from here.
Also, the Vegas Golden Knights will try to get their lead back from the Edmonton Oilers. Series is tied 2-2, and game five is at 10PM. Both teams are down a player with Alex Pietrangelo (VGK) and Darnell Nurse (EDM) both being suspended for one game.
All games are on Sportsnet, TVA Sports, CBC, and TNT.
Enjoy your day everyone and Go Leafs Go!