After a rough stretch where Leafs fans were freaking out over every big thing (lots of goals against, no goals for) and little thing (Auston Matthews’ ice time in ONE FREAKING PERIOD!), their dominant 4-2 win over the Sabres was a nice breath of fresh air.
But enough about the Leafs. No one likes them these days. Let’s talk about what really gets people going... a goalie prospect drafted in the seventh round signing a contract with an ECHL team!
Okay, I meant prospects in general. Because now’s a fun time.
First, aside from Bouthillier maybe sorta starting his professional career (maybe sorta for good?), let’s talk about some of the things that have gone well:
- Jeremy Bracco has 70 points in 65 AHL games, putting him in a tie for 2nd in the entire AHL with Carter WHARRGHARBL and 1 point behind Daniel Carr for the lead. It earned him the AHL player of the week a couple of days ago.
- 18 year old defenseman Rasmus Sandin, who wasn’t really known for his offense, has an 8 game point streak where he’s put up 1 goal and 11 assists in that span. He’s got 24 points in 37 games, which is good for 12th in rookie defensemen in the AHL, except he’s only played 37 games and he’s a year or more younger than all of the others.
- Adam Brooks is also on a hot streak. He has 9 points in 9 games in March, and is averaging over 4 shots per game. He assisted on the Marlies’ first goal and scored the winner in overtime last night:/
Adam Brooks wins it in overtime. He was great on the PK tonight as well pic.twitter.com/fgc2svMqjn— Kevin Papetti (@KPapetti) March 21, 2019
- Goalie Ian Scott was named to the WHL’s Eastern Conference First All-Star team after a stellar season, where his team is a favourite to win the WHL title and Memorial Cup.
- Recently signed defensive prospect Joseph Duszack was named a top 10 finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, given to the best NCAA player of the year. He also saw his first AHL game with the Marlies last night, not scoring points but getting four shots on net./
Pretty low-event game, and a bad camera angle, so there wasn't very many good clips tonight. Duszak was eased into things a bit, but fired his fair share of shots. One of the more boring games this year— Kevin Papetti (@KPapetti) March 21, 2019
If you want more scouting on some of the top Leafs prospects, Kevin Papetti at MLHS delved into Bracco, Sandin and Liljegren recently.
ONTO THE LINKS!
Women’s Hockey Wednesday: Championship season! | by nafio and Annie
‘My whole immediate family should be dead’: How Austin Czarnik overcame the odds to become an NHLer | by Scott Cruickshank at The Athletic
Rasmus Dahlin has lived up to the hype | by Die By The Blade, which is really annoying since he’s in our division.
The emergence of Erik Cernak: So much for that hole on the blue line | by loserpoints at Raw Charge, which is REALLY annoying because if there’s one thing Tampa doesn’t need it’s more bloody good young players on cheap deals. “Hole on the blueline”... kick rocks, Alan! Talk to me when you have a Holl on the blueline and THEN we can commiserate together!
Report: Red Wings Expected to Re-sign Jimmy Howard | by Winging it in Motown