Please don’t get goalied again.
WHAT DID I JUST SAY
Nylander blocks a shot and gets himself a breakaway pic.twitter.com/iyhIZy8Ci7— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
Not inspiring confidence...
Fourth line doing good work
Halfway through the period and it’s been pretty close, with not a lot going on offensively either way. Leafs do own a slight edge in shot attempts and expected goal share.
Third line is getting their chances too
Hyman confuses Hellebuyck with this shot pic.twitter.com/4krtJ2ZlKD— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
GOAL: Dermott turnover leads to Ehlers snipe on a 3 on 1, makes it 1-0 Jets
Dermott turns the puck over trying to get it to Thornton— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
Chance against. Goal against. pic.twitter.com/cZvsFPMeor
The Leafs had been dominating play before then, not allowing the Jets a shot on net for 8 minutes before the goal. Copp had a dangerous chance right after in the slot, but Freddie was able to make the stop.
The Leafs are getting their chances, just not scoring on them.
Marner rips a shot on Hellebuyck off the Matthews drop pass pic.twitter.com/VSnxcF7SKS— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
First Period Thoughts:
- Offense: The Leafs had some stretches of looking dominant offensively, and finished the period with 20 shot attempts and 5 high danger scoring chances.
- Defense: The Leafs also looked mostly good defensively, giving up only 11 shot attempts and the one dangerous scoring chance. Problem was, that chance was a 3 on 1 caused by a turnover that wound up in the back of the net.
- Special teams: No penalties either side.
God I love Brodie...
Brodie sticking with Connor defensively pic.twitter.com/Ctwnby3SrI— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
GOAL: Mitch Marner cracks the Hellecode, Leafs tie it 1-1
Freddie should have had that! Oh, he did have it. Nevermind.
Hellebuyck is so good that every Leafs breakaway may as well be done by Mikheyev.
Marner sends Hyman off on the breakaway pic.twitter.com/5wKmuPz9cv— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
GOAL: Andersen intentionally scored on his own net then kicked a puppy. 2-1 Jets.
Some bad pinch/covering between Holl and Vesey.
Connor Hellebuyck can go away any time now.
Nylander with a flurry of chances. The last one is batted out of the air but goes off the crossbar pic.twitter.com/sCxUUNa89M— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
Third breakaway for the Leafs.— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
This time Engvall is stopped pic.twitter.com/ylTZWvAcC1
Hellebuyck with another Grade-A save on Nylander pic.twitter.com/3dej5DX63b— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
Second Period Thoughts:
First, an aside. That may be one of the most ridiculous performances by a goalie in a period that I’ve ever seen. We’ll see if he keeps it up for the whole period, but Hellebuyck is stealing this game so far. Plain and simple.
- Offense: The Leafs had 21 shot attempts and 7 high danger scoring chances at even strength. In all situations, they’ve controlled 66% of shot attempts and 71% of expected goals.
- Defense: The Leafs gave up 13 shot attempts and 3 high danger scoring chances. They were the better team in that period. But Hellebuyck is other-worldly right now.
- Special teams: Both teams got a powerplay, neither team scored. Call it a wash.
Andersen FINALLY makes a save for the Leafs, the bum.
Freddie with a stop on Stastny to start the period pic.twitter.com/emGFIuxzLU— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
GOAL: Hellebuyck lets in a makeable save, Nylander ties it 2-2.
Freddie actually made a save for the first time in his life.
Well we had a fun but brief period of time when Hellebuyck was letting in goals while it lasted.
Are you actually kidding me!?— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
Hellebuyck with the paddle save pic.twitter.com/hpTmWwltAi
GOAL: Hellebuyck whiffs on another makeable save on Mikheyev, Leafs leading 3-2
GOAL: Don’t ask me the details, just know that the Jets scoring here is 100% Katya’s fault. Andersen was innocent on this one. 3-3 Tie Game.
To overtime we go!
AUSTON MATTHEWS HOLY SHIT! LEAFS WIN 4-3!
AUSTON MATTHEWS— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) March 12, 2021
OVERTIME WINNER! BEAUTY! pic.twitter.com/BN7hrpnCRP
- Offense: The Leafs were the better team in this one, by a pretty wide margin. They had 65% of the shot attempts and 69% (nice) of the expected goals.
- Defense: They were fine, except when they kept giving up odd man rushes.
- Special teams: They did their job on the PK, at least.