This has been a pretty dark year for many people, but it’s also not been a bright ray of sunshine for the hockey world. Some of these happened in 2019, technically, but close enough to now that they fall within the last 12 months:
- This happened in November 2019, so not technically in 2020, but recent enough I wanted to include: that whole Don Cherry thing.
- Akim Aliu and his history of dealing with racism, namely from Bill Peters.
- Mike Babcock’s mind games with Mitch Marner.
- Brendan Leipsic essentially getting kicked out of the league when his toxic DMs on teammates and their significant others came out.
- Daniel Carcillo’s various accounts of how messed up hockey culture is, including what he himself admits he participated in.
- The lawsuit that Carcillo and others have filed against the CHL for their inaction in dealing with extreme hazing and abuse.
- Former NHL-er Jeremy Roenick fired over sexual comments he made on a female co-worker.
- The explosion of protests and the Black Lives Matter movement around the start of the pandemic, and how the NHL responded to it and the Hockey Diversity Alliance (HDA).
- Dealing with Donald Trump’s family praising the NHL for lagging behind other leagues on social matters.
- Dealing with the fallout of not suspending their games the same day as the WNBA, NBA and other leagues.
- Dealing with the PR battle with the HDA on matters of making the league more diverse, including the eventual severance of official ties between the two.
- Mike Milbury.
- Eric Guest, former OHL player, and his various accounts of the bullying, abuse and drug use he experienced as a teenager while on the Kitchener Rangers.
- Just this past week, The Athletic published a piece “Why do so few women work in sports radio?” that led to one hockey writer getting fired from two different scouting outlets, and a TSN Radio guy getting flamed for their remarks claiming women just aren’t interested.
There’s probably even more than this, maybe even double the points, and I just can’t remember because there was just a lot of them and 2020 has been... A LOT.
Well, over the weekend the newest story of horror about hockey culture came out. CBC published an article about a video that had been discovered about teenage boys were playing this bizarre and violent game against their own teammate who wound up having a seizure.
I don’t even have any words to comment on this. This new incident is horrifying. Everything else I listed above it are horrifying. At what point do we stop thinking of these as isolated incidents and start realizing that they’re symptoms?
ONTO THE LINKS
Inside the fight to get Herb Carnegie into the Hockey Hall of Fame | by David Singh at Sportsnet.ca
Back to Excited Episode 121: Depth Signings and Hiring Practices | by Arvind and Fulemin
There likely isn’t an odd man out on the Leafs blueline | by Jon Steitzer at TLN
Inside NHL’s plan for 2020-21 season: It’s ‘more challenging’ than summer return | by Michael Russo at The Athletic
Sabres sign Reinhart to one-year deal | by TSN.ca
⭐️⭐️⭐️Filip Hallander (LW, SHL): 2 GP, 2 A, 15:19 ATOI— Kyle Cushman (@Kyle_Cush) October 25, 2020
Hallander picked up a primary assist in both outings this week for Lulea. After a slow start with 2 points in 7 games coming into the week, this could help spark Hallander's offence this season. He remains on the first line pic.twitter.com/Amtxwp8xHc
⭐️⭐️Mikko Lehtonen (LD, KHL): 2 GP, 2 G, 25:02 ATOI— Kyle Cushman (@Kyle_Cush) October 25, 2020
After a slow week last week with just one assist, Lehtonen was back in his goal-scoring ways with goals vs. Amur and Barys. Tied for most goals by KHL defencemen and has the most points by 4 among KHL defencemen. pic.twitter.com/LkGTKsghoD
⭐️Denis Malgin (C, NLA): 2 GP, 2 G, 18:01 ATOI— Kyle Cushman (@Kyle_Cush) October 25, 2020
Malgin came to play this week for Lausanne with three goals in two games vs. Ambri-Piotta. It'll be tough to make the #Leafs roster with the amount of depth forwards under contract, but playing like this will help his case. pic.twitter.com/c5dlKx9ohC