In the third game of the Memorial Cup, we have a mini version of the situation the Spitfires faced coming into the tournament. Windsor played on Friday night, defeating the Saint John Sea Dogs 3-2 in the opening game of the tournament. Jeremy Bracco scored the best goal so far, and the Seattle Thunderbirds are playing their second game in as many days, losing last night to the Erie Otters 4-2. Luckily that game was a 3PM start so they have 27 hours between games, instead of the usual 24.

The Spitfires wasted no time in setting the pace for this game but spending the first few minutes exclusively in the Thunderbirds end of the rink. Coming full force at the rookie goalie non-stop and putting the pressure on early.

Jeremy Bracco is clearly the offensive guy, he’s at the net more than anyone else on his line, waiting to screen the goalie or cause a tip in. He’s the one rushing in on loose pucks as his line mates hang just a little farther back, he’s not getting many defensive assignments, it’s all run and gun for him.

He was fun to watch but then this happened in 38 seconds:

3 goals in 38 seconds ties the records set in 1978 by the New Westminster Bruins (now the Kamloops Blazers) against the Trois Rivieres Draveurs (now the Sherbrooke Phoenix).

Jeremy Bracco is playing all over the PP, he’s on the point, and the wing, wherever there’s a gap. He has a lot of excitement in his game tonight, more than in game one. The confidence has come out of this entire Spitfires team and is showing in their quick work, speedy play, and aggressive forecheck.

The Thunderbirds were sticking to their “set up plays, play your position” method that they use against the Erie Otters last night. It’s not going as well, the Spitfires are able to break through their plans a lot and control the offense for this game.after taking only 28 shots on net.

And boy did they ever.

A grand total of seven goals were scored by the Spitfires, and teen rookie sensation Carl Stankowski was pulled from the game after allowing three goals on six shots, 5:26 into the game. Rylan Toth, who hasn’t played a full game since the end of the regular season fared a bit better, stopping 18 of 22 shots in he remaining time of the game.

Seattle was able to take 25 shots and only one got by Michael DiPietrio.

Windsor showed us what kind a team they could have been in the playoffs and regular season if everyone was 100% healthy. Going up 2-0 in a 3 game round robin is huge and the +7 goal differential they’ve built could help get them a bye to the Memorial Cup finals.

Goal Highlights

Aside from the record tying goals above....

Lowlight of the night

It would have been Toth getting stuck behind the net, but no one likes a head injury.

Sean Day would take a few minutes to get up and into the dressing room. He would return and assist on Jeremiah Addison’s goal.

The Windsor Spitfires are now up 2-0 in the standings, taking first place. The Erie Otters will try to catch them when they play the Saint John Sea Dogs tomorrow night.

The Seattle Thunderbirds are off until Tuesday when they play the Sea Dogs.