The 2019 NHL Draft is now over and in the record books. The Toronto Maple Leafs made six selections - skipping round six - and came out with several good players, but no one who will be making their Leafs debut in the next couple of seasons. Now that the rebuild is over, it’s time for long-term prospects rather than immediate impacts.
Pick #53 - Nicholas Robertson - Centre/Left Wing
Bio: 5’9” - 161lbs - 17 years old - Shoots Left
Hometown: Arcadia, California
Drafted from: Peterborough Petes, OHL
18/19 Stats: 54GP - 27G - 28A - 55Pts
Toronto Maple Leafs Draft Nick Robertson 53rd Overall
Pick #85 - Mikko Kokkonen - Defense
Bio: 5’11” - 198lbs - 18 years old - Shoots Left
Hometown: Mikkeli, Finland
Drafted from: Jukurit, Liiga
18/19 Stats: 56GP - 3G - 16A - 19Pts
Toronto Maple Leafs Draft Mikko Kokkonen 84th overall
Pick #115 - Mikhail Abramov - Centre / Right Wing
Bio: 5’10” - 161lbs - 18 years old - Shoots Left
Hometown: Moskva, Russia
Drafted from: Victoriaville Tigres, QMJHL
18/19 Stats: 62GP - 16G - 38A - 54Pts
Toronto Maple Leafs Select Mikhail Abramov 115th Overall
Pick #124 - Nicholas Abruzzese - Forward
Bio: 5’9” - 163lbs - 20 years old - Shoots Left
Hometown: Slate Hill, New York
Drafted from: Chicago Steel, USHL
18/19 Stats: 62GP - 29G - 51A - 80Pts
Toronto Maple Leafs draft Nicholas Abruzzese 124th overall
Pick #146 - Michael Koster - Defender
Bio: 5’9” - 172lbs - 18 years old - Shoots Left
Hometown: Chaska, Minnesota
Drafted from: Chaska High School / Tri-City Storm, USHL
18/19 Stats: 40GP - 21G - 50A - 71Pts / 15GP - 2G - 4A - 6Pts
Toronto Maple Leafs draft Michael Koster 146th overall
Pick #204 - Kalle Loponen - Defender
Bio: 5’11” - 187lbs - 18 years old - Shoots Right
Hometown: Hämeenlinna, Finland
Drafted from: Kärpät U20, Jr. A SM-Liiga
18/19 Stats: 18GP - 2G - 7A - 9Pts
Toronto Maple Leafs draft Kalle Loponen in seventh round, 204th overall
Pick #208 - Traded to St. Louis Blues for their 2020 7th round pick
- The Maple Leafs drafted one Russian, two Finnish players and three Americans in this draft.
- Five of the draftees shoot left, one shoots right (he’s a defender too!)
- All of the draft picks came from different leagues. From the top level pros (Mikko Kokkonen, Liiga) to High School (Michael Koster).
- The Leafs often have at least one captain or alternate in their draft class. This year they had one captain - Michael Koster, Chaska High.
- Two players are heading to college in the fall; Michael Koster is going to the University of Minnesota and Nicholas Abruzzese is going to Harvard.
- Kyle Dubas has a type; the players are all one the smaller side with heights between 5’9” and 5’11”.
- Nicholas Robertson and 2018 pick Semyon Der-Arguchintsev will play together on the Peterborough Petes this year, so if you can get to a game, you get two prospects for the price of one!/
That’s your 2019 draft class everyone. Most of them will be on the ice together next week during Maple Leafs development camp at their practice facility, the Ford Performance Centre. No word if it’s open to the public or if scrimmages will be streamed online. The full roster should be released today or tomorrow.