The first ever training camp for the Professional Women's Hockey League gets underway today.
In Toronto, the team is practising out of the Ford Performance Centre, home of the Leafs and Marlies. Previous unofficial reports have the team set to play out of Maple Leaf Gardens, now known as the Mattamy Athletic Centre. The season gets underway in January.
Before we get to the news, a review of the things we don't know yet about the first ever PWHL season:
- The team names are unknown. There is a list of putative names taken from American trademark applications, but they are not official.
- Team logos do not exist.
- The schedule of games is not public.
- Information about neutral site games has not been released.
- Player salaries are not public per the PWHLPA.
- If or when preseason games will happen is unknown.
Team jerseys were revealed ahead of camp, described as for the inaugural season. They may be the jerseys worn in-season, but eventually a logoed and named official jersey will be revealed for each team.
The PWHL announced the team rosters for training camp a month ago. You can find the full list for each team here:
Final rosters will be set by December 11. In the meantime, teams have been signing some of their drafted players, and some free agents. This document has been updated to show the contract expiry date for all signed players on each team:
We'll try to keep up to date with future signings as the six-week long camp rolls along.
The training camp rosters have to be reduced to 27 players by the end of November. At that time the first waiver window opens where undrafted and unsigned players cut from the roster of one team are eligible to be signed by another.
As you can see from the list of signed players above, some teams have signed most of their draftees, but some – notably Montréal and Minnesota have very few players under contract.
Most teams have given three-year deals to their top draftees, and have used one-and two-year contracts for their depth signings. Toronto has one undrafted free agent, Erica Howe, their second signed goalie.
Toronto's Training Camp Roster
- Bach, Victoria (Drafted 7-38)
- Cogan, Samantha (Camp Invite)
- Compher, Jesse (Drafted 5-26) Signed
- Connors, Maggie (Drafted 11-62) Signed
- Howard, Brittany (Drafted 8-47) Signed
- Jones, Jess (Camp Invite)
- Leslie, Rebecca (Drafted 12-71) Signed
- Maltais, Emma (Drafted 2-11) Signed
- Miller, Hannah (Drafted 13-74)
- Nurse, Sarah (Signed FA)
- Spooner, Natalie (Drafted 4-23)
- Turnbull, Blayre (Signed FA)
- Vasko, Alexa (Drafted 14-83)
- Wabick, Morgan (Camp Invite)
- Willoughby, Kaitlin (Camp Invite)
- Channell, Mellissa (Drafted 10-59)
- Fast, Renata (Signed FA)
- Flanagan, Kali (Drafted 6-35) Signed
- Keenan, Emma (Camp Invite)
- Knowles, Olivia (Drafted 15-86)
- Kondas, Jessica (Camp Invite)
- Larocque, Jocelyne (Drafted 1-2) Signed
- Munroe, Allie (Drafted 9-50) Signed
- Rougeau, Lauriane (Camp Invite)
- Wabick, Taylor (Camp Invite)
- Campbell, Kristen (Drafted 3-14) Signed
- Howe, Erica
(Camp Invite)Now signed
- Jackson, Carly (Camp Invite)
- Mäkelä, Amanda (Camp Invite)